Like so many of us balancing multiple roles in life, I am always on-the-go, in need of constant and sustainable energy. While coffee and caffeinated teas have their place, it’s important to give your body the nutrients it needs to properly rejuvenate, energize, and process. One of my favorite all-natural, holistic, energy-inducing creations is what I like to call a “Berry Green Frosty”.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Assorted berries of your choice – I like to use a blueberry, strawberry, raspberry blend. Make sure to freeze your berries, prior to using, in order to give your frosty a crystalized consistency. Depending on your blender size, use 1.5 – 2 cups of berries.
- 1 rounded spoon of protein powder – I like to use vanilla whey. I’m not a big fan of soy protein, for various reasons, but it will still work well with this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon organic ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon organic ground chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs – just one of many things the Mayans got right about living a healthy and energy-charged lifestyle.
- 1 teaspoon maca powder – yet another ancient Mayan staple and one of my absolute favorite things to use for daily energy. Maca is a root plant, native to the Andes mountains. It’s rich in amino acids, alkaloids, sterols, vitamins and minerals. Get ready to start building temples on this stuff.
- 1 rounded spoon of green superfood powder – this contains all of your essential vitamins, as well as a combination of active probiotics, grass blends, antioxidants, and fiber blends.
- Vanilla Almond Milk
- Blender of choice – I’m a Magic Bullet girl.
Pour your berries into your blender; add all of your dry ingredients on top.
Check out the rich color of this superfood powder – talk about invigoration. Your body is already thanking you …
Once you’ve combined all of your berries and dry ingredients, add 1-2 ice cubes; pour your almond milk to the top to cover. Blend away. Or in my case, blend to Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight”, playing on TV. Such a great song … “I remembah …”
And there you have it …. a delicious Berry Green Frosty, complete with all the necessary essentials your body needs to thrive.
If you need an added crunch, try adding a couple spoonfuls of raw almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, granola clusters, or whole grain clusters. This will also give a salty component to the sweet and tart blend of your frosty.
This frosty is great morning, noon, or night – it’s especially welcome in this Texas heat! It can also be a refreshing pre or post workout snack. Enjoy!